Cover photo full
SM City Cebu
Wikipedia | Google | Google Images | FlickrThe second biggest mall in Cebu City and one of the world’s largest shopping centers, SM City Cebu consists of four levels with 7 standard cinemas and an IMAX theater (Cinema 4). There is also a huge food court, a fully computerized and family-friendly bowling center located on the 4th floor, and an 8,000-square-meter amusement center. There is also a 2,000-square-meter trade hall where most job fairs and exhibits are held.
Everything that you need can be found within the store premises. From local souvenirs and crafts down to designer retail stores and even duty-free shops, as SM City Cebu’s tagline would say; “We have it all for you.”
HistorySM City Cebu first opened in late 1993, primarily catering to the low and middle-class shoppers of the city. It started initially with only one building and was later expanded in 2007 with the opening of The Northwing expansion building. Today, the mall’s land area is 11.8 hectares, ranking as the 19th largest shopping mall in the world.
What to See
The NorthwingThe newest expansion building was opened in the month of November in 2007, it is a two-level complex featuring upscale retail stores, restaurants, and posh cafés. The Northwing development also covered the addition of 3 levels of parking area and one roof deck parking.
A myriad of restaurants and trendy retail shops are housed in this area. A few examples of these restaurants are:
- Breadtalk – Singaporean brand bakery.
- Tempura – A modern Japanese grill restaurant.
- Gerry’s Grill – A Filipino-themed grill restaurant.
- La Mesa Grill – A modern Filipino restaurant with its own take on its recipes.
- Bigby’s – Serves western cuisines, definitely a must-try for foreigners.
Upscale fashion outlets such as Forever 21, Marks and Spencer, Sperry, and Nautica can all be found here.
The SouthwingThe initial or main complex of SM City Cebu houses most of the anchor stores of SM such as its department store and supermarket, SM Cinemas, Amusement Center, and bowling center. Local-branded clothing stores such as Penshoppe and Bench are also located here. Electronics and appliances centers are also available in this building.
Aside from restaurants and retail shops, the SM activity center (where events are held) within the food court can also be found at the second floor of the building. Oddly enough, there is a bank (BDO), dental and beauty clinics, and government offices inside the mall.
If you find yourself in this part of the mall, here are a variety of restaurants you should check out that are located at the Southwing of SM City Cebu:
- SM Food Court – A huge complex that houses plenty of small restaurant franchises.
- Sbarro – Italian Pizza and Pastas.
- Aji-Ichiban – an upscale Japanese restaurant.
- Golden Cowrie – an exceptional restaurant franchise in Cebu that has become the local’s favorite when it comes to Filipino cuisines.
- Harbour City – A dim sum House based in Hong Kong where the food is presented in rolling carts.
IMAX TheaterIn 2008, the IMAX Corporation and the SM City Developer, SM Prime Holdings signed a deal for the installation of additional IMAX theaters in one of their malls. Due to the success of the first IMAX theater in SM Mall of Asia, SM City Cebu’s Cinema 4 was replaced with an IMAX Technology digital projector.
Store HoursThe mall complex is open Monday to Friday from 10 AM to 9 PM. On holidays, the opening hours are altered on short notice. In addition, the mall hours are also extended (usually until 12 AM) during annual mall sales and special events. The SM Cinema is open from 12 AM up until the end of the last full show. During the end of the last screening (which is usually past store hours), viewers are ushered through the closed premises by security guards.
Getting ThereLocated at the North Reclamation Area near the Port of Cebu, the mall is conveniently accessible by foreigners and tourists directly from their hotels. Most hotels from downtown Cebu and Mactan Island have their own private shuttle buses that will take their guests to SM City for free. Outside your hotel, you can hire a taxi to take you directly to the mall. Jeepney s also operate on routes going to the mall, although this is not the safest nor practical method of transportation to get there.
- Outside SM City Cebu are terminals for Jeepneys and shuttles going to different parts of the city (even Mactan Island). If you are an adventurer at heart, you can take a ride on of these public vehicles instead of taking a taxi for a cheaper fare.
- Filipinos are famous for their hospitality, don’t be afraid to ask for directions when you get lost inside the mall.
- When dining at the SM Food Court, there may be instances when a random stranger will sit on your table and solicit for money, be careful when dealing with these people.
Do you see any omissions, errors or want to add information to this page? Sign up.
Author: radiantan. Last updated: Feb 02, 2015