Cover photo full
Dimitrie Brândză Botanical Garden
Wikipedia | Google | Google Images | FlickrThe Dimitrie Brândză Botanical Garden, located in the Cotroceni area of Bucharest, spreads over 17.5 hectares, and houses over 10,000 species of plants.
HistoryThe Botanical Garden of Bucharest was founded in 1860 by the Medicine and Pharmacology faculty, at the initiative of Dr. Carol Davila, following a decree signed by Alexandru Ioan Cuza.
In 1874, the garden was moved to the city center, in front of the university. Dimitrie Brândză, the professor entrusted with the garden supervision, made great efforts to obtain better development conditions and a wider space for it. In 1884, his actions were successful, and the garden was moved once again, this time to its current location. The new greenhouses were built after the model of the Liège Botanical Garden, and the new herbarium and botanical museum functioned until the bombing of 1944, which partly damaged it.
In 1954, the garden's situation was starting to brighten up once more, when it was placed again under the custody of the University of Bucharest, which is maintained until the present day.
The restoration process was marked by the construction of a greenhouse complex, destined to ensure the material necessary to the outer sectors, as well as the foundation of the new Botanical Institute in 1960 and the Botanical Museum in 1978.
TopographySpreading on a surface of 17.5 hectares, and located on the western side of the city - on the right bank of Dâmboviţa River , the garden is situated at low altitude (87 meters below sea level), and reflects the characteristics of a plain environment and terrain.
The garden is organized into sectors: some placed outdoors, with perennial or annual plants resistant to winter, others indoors where conserved or live plants are protected in various ways. In the Botanical Museum are plant collections placed on display, from pressed to dried plants, or conserved in formaldehyde.
VisitingThe decorative sector is placed right at the entrance, and it ensures a diverse and colorful decor all year long. It contains 500 species of ligneous and herbaceous plants. The rare plants sector, founded in 1962, contains endemic species, that are threatened - nationally or throughout Europe.
The Mediterranean plant sector contains over 100 species of plants with Mediterranean origin, out of which some can be found in Romania as well, in similar climate as that in the southern Dobrogea.
The Italian sector, organized in geometrical shapes, is placed in the immediate vicinity of the Botanical Institute, between two alleys guarded by imposing chestnut trees. In the center there is a basin which offers optimal development conditions for certain species of aquatic plants.
The Dobrogean flora sector is placed on a hill, as a symbol of Dobrogea's relief. A series of rare species, adapted to the specific climate of this region, are cultivated on the plateau of the hill. In the upper part, there are the ligneous species, and towards the base, the herbaceous ones.
The Carpathian Mountains' sector replicates, in miniature, the Carpathian chain with its herbaceous flora. The species grown here are separated according to vegetation zones. The coniferous hill sector is a significant point of attraction for the public. It includes local, as well as exotic conifers, such as the Moor Cypress, which is native to America and adapts very well to temperate climate. The main condition for this sector's well functioning is the waterfall situated within the region, as the water ensures the necessary humidity, also filling the small lake at its bottom, which houses lilies, and in the waters of which the cypresses cast peculiar shapes.
The Rosary, a sector where roses astonish with their color and diversity, occupies about 0.7 hectares, and hosts approximately 130 species of different sizes, delicate shapes, and mellow flavors: Super Star, Rhapsody in Blue, Abraham Darby, Bonfire, Chrysler Imperial, Purple Lady, Queen Elisabeth, and many more.
The Iris collection is placed next to the Rosary, and contains 7 species and over 100 types of Iris Germanica, such as Concord Velvet, Golden Kind, Lady Boscoven, Blue Danube, and Violet Harmony, with its unusual flower size.
How to Get ThereTo reach the Botanical Garden, take the subway to the Eroilor station, the bus 336, and trolleys 62, 71, and 93 to the same station.
When to VisitThe garden is open every day from 8 AM to 8 PM during summer (April 1st - September 30), and from 8 AM to 6 PM during winter (October 1st - March 31st). The Botanical Museum is open only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 9 AM to 1 PM. The price is 5 RON ($1.25) for adults, and 3 RON ($0.75) for students, children, and seniors. For the museum, the prices are 2 RON ($0.50) for adults and 1 RON ($0.25) for children, students, and seniors. Children under the age of seven and war veterans have free access.
Other AttractionsThe garden is not far from the historical center, where the Old Court and the Palace of the Parliament are situated. It is also easy to get to the Revolution Plaza, where the National Art Museum is located (former Royal Palace), and the Romanian Athenaeum.
Do you see any omissions, errors or want to add information to this page? Sign up.
Author: aelumag. Last updated: Sep 26, 2014